Sunday, June 1, 2008

Sometimes I am so funny I could just die....


This is a thought that will never see the light of day so I figure I would at least put it out there. Perhaps someone else can use it.

Le Boyfriend is a library trustee in town. They are trying to come up with a float for the Fourth of July parade, which is a really big deal here. They have usually done a float which plays up the summer reading program's book which everyone has to read, but liability has finally caught up with it. No more children are allowed to ride on tractors going 5 mph through town. The librarian has decided that instead all the trustees will carry large plastic buckets which they will beat with sticks to make noise. I am still trying to figure out the connection between 5 retired people beating drums and promoting usership of the library... but whatever.

Then! It popped into my head full blown like a Donald Trump Tower. Why couldn't the trustees just march in formation with their noses buried in a book, paying no attention to the parade and audience around them? And the cherry on top will be the librarian carrying a big placard that says "SHHHH." I laughed so hard I could hardly stand it.

Le boyfriend said it would never fly and that I would be the only one in the world who would catch the humor and irony. Really- isn't humor and irony what librarians are all about?

Well, I am still giggling at the thought of it. I hope someone out there can use this idea for a parade .

4 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL! I LOVE that idea--I'm still giggling about that, too!

SMC said...

A couple of them may not be able to walk the 2 mile parade route though. Somehow, like most committees & volunteer organizations, the trustees have been shanghied by the older set. Or, perhaps, the younger set doesn't volunteer anymore?

SMC said...

Oh! I had an even better idea! The trustees could do some "moves." Maybe execute a few turns and then toss the books into the air and catch them again? What dya' think?

d smith kaich jones said...

How anyone could NOT think this a funny funny idea is beyond me! I would be laughing my rear-end off!