Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Life is, Indeed, Rich

HERE'S LOOKING AT YOU KID....

Despite the fiasco of the 2008 invasion of Rose Chafer Beetles, I needed to go out and take a look after dinner. My garden was still there and from a distance the peonies are still lovely. I have a large double white which is stunning.. and right as I had decided that my garden didn't have enough white, there it was.

But I took the long inspection route around, so I could postpone the up-close look at the devastation. Henry followed along snurfling at the plants. I approached my Scarlett O'Hara and lingered to look at my new "Blue Carpet" sedum. Henry snurfled at the passing irises. He was very intent- snurfling the leaves, then vacuuming the ground. Hey! He is eating something!

It took a second to sink in but my dog was vacuuming the Rose Chafer Beetles off the plants and eating them. So I tried picking a few off and dropping them on the ground for him.... gone! Then I bowed down the heads of a few daisies loaded with beetles, and ppphhhttt.... gone! I could practically hear Mick Jagger in the distance ... "you can't always get what you want."

Ahhh.... sweet revenge. While I don't think Henry will really check these beetles, it is somehow very satisfying that he likes to eat them. I know I have a true partner in the garden.

And, perhaps somewhere out there, God does exist...

5 comments:

d smith kaich jones said...

Yes, I think God must exist. How else to explain the fact that you would end up this dog & in time, this problem, and that the dog would be part of the solution? Too coincidental, I'm thinking. Sounds like part of a bigger plan.

LYC said...

There really is a Dog!!!!

Unknown said...

Go Henry!!! I'm with lyc. There really is a Dog. *grin*

Mim said...

So is Henry the second coming? Getting rid of the plagues?

SMC said...

Acutally he is Henry the First.