Saturday, April 19, 2008

Visiting the Phillips Collection

Beautiful day in DC- the temp was in the eighties and everything was in bloom- azaleas, redbud, tulips, candytuft- EVERYTHING! We visited the Phillips Collection and saw the newer acquisitions show-Degas to Diebenkorn or something like that. I always forget how much I like Arthur Dove. Saw this beautiful painting titled Flour Mill II-lovely.


We went to the National Arboretum which I have never been to- 100's of acres of wonderful plants. They have stunning display gardens and were also having a show of ikebana arrangements and bonsais. We then drove through the park looking at more things in bloom and beautiful vistas. My favorite was the evergreen collection. They have several dwarf hinocki cypress that are no long dwarf-10 or 12 feet high. My little 2 footer would look pathetic. We found a gazebo and sat there for about 1/2 hour taking in the loveliness. We could hear some traffic as we were near the preimeter of the park, but it was still an amazing experience to be in the middle of a major city but all we could see were plants and birds.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Arthur Dove is a name on my artistic periphery... not as well known to me as Diebenkorn. But after seeing this one piece, I want to both learn more and repaint my entire second floor. (Does that make sense? I just love that mix of bold color.)