Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Roses on the Brain

I chipped some more ice off the driveway tonight after dinner. I know it is wrong to wish away the days, but I would at least like to see some dirt. I also need to figure out how much my Henry Kelsey roses have taken off on this arbor. Last year I filled in with some purple hyacinth bean- my new favorite annual.

The blue spruce in this photo is still languishing under very icy snow. I hope it hasn't been traumatized (read deformed) by the experience. I love that blue spruce and have even forgiven it the large gashes it put in my forearms in the quest to plant it best side forward and level. I got it at a great little family operation around the corner from me in Newbury- Lyons Evergreens. He grows his own and is only open on weekends for 5 or 6 weeks in early summer. Field dug to boot! Who knew evergreen roots were so shallow and amenable to manhandling?

3 comments:

d smith kaich jones said...

Purple hyacinth bean? Okay, that just SOUNDS cool - I'm looking it up! Along with Sapphire Dragon -a tree I just discovered in a neighbor's yard. FULL of gorgeous lavender blossoms. And also I gotta figure out what another tree is - it's full of white flowers that look like white hydrangeas. I've found 2 in the neighborhood & MUST have one. So far, I haven't been able to locate the owners to ask questions.

Mim said...

Is that Irish Moss between the stones of the path beneath the arbor??? YOu told me it would break my heart.

SMC said...

Purple Hyacinth Bean is way cool! I discovered it too late two years ago but ordered some seeds for last summer. It took a while to take off, but I think I am in the mother of all micro-climates. It has nice dark green heart shaped leaves, lovely sweet pea type blossoms, but best of all- 5" long pea pods that are eggplant colored. All in all a lovely combination. I collected seeds from the pods last fall to save on the exhorbitant cost plus postage.

Not irish moss- tiny rubies dianthus. It was end of season and they were on sale so I decided to try them again. My motto is that after you have killed a variety three times you should give up. I think this is try number three for me!