Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Fashion Forward

I wasn't going to post this, because it is a bit silly. But I haven't got a more developed thought in my head right now. So here it is...

I sometimes feel I have to apologize for my interest in fashion. Such a girl thing ... but there it is ... I am a girl. I think fashion is one more way for a person to project their personality. Is that any more shallow than other pursuits?

All that being said I am not a very daring follower of fashion. But I have decided to set myself a small goal. I want to pair two patterns together in a way that makes sense. I have bought a couple of pair of patterned tights recently. I figure that like an art collection, whatever I am drawn to will probably mesh with other things I already have. I am dying for a really good pair of argyle tights... like Wouldn't Shoe, but I haven't found the pair for me yet.

My friend Louise has got a certain devil-may-care attitude when it comes to pairing patterns. Her fashion insouciance reflects her quirky view on life. One of my favorite accessories of hers was a child's baseball cap worn at a jaunty angle. It sat on top of her head (because it was so small) like a cocktail hat. This was back in the late 70's/early 80's when jaunty baseball caps were not the fashion bailiwick of inner-city hoodlums.

So yesterday I had to get dolled up for an event and I thought it as the right time to put my plan to work. Out come the tights, herringbone jacket, black skirt and wonderful red shoes. But I am thwarted- first one pair of tights has a hole in it and then another pair which is listed as medium/tall will barely make it past my knees. Sigh... back into the sock drawer for a pair of tights which has a subtle tweedy pattern. It looked good and I felt snazzy... but not as snazzy these girls in red.

I am such a fashion plate.

No comments: