Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Blogging Ala` Andrew Sullivan

This photo has nothing to do with Andrew Sullivan. It is my friend, LYC, trying to figure out a really difficult children's toy. It is the best illustration I could come up with for problem solving. She looks pretty serious- huh?

The Atlantic Monthly has a lead story on blogging. It is written by Andrew Sullivan, a thoughtful thinker & writer.... and too damned cute by half for a gay guy.

I always struggle a little with what it is that I am doing here. I have never been particularly good at writing, but this feels like so much more than that. It is communicating.

Sullivan sums up blogging by calling it broadcasting and not publishing. It is spontaneous and has plenty of room for error, but it also contains an element of conversation. Readers are fast to react, correct, respond and join in. I think that is what is so appealing. I am not always looking to get positive feedback ... just feedback in general.

I would like to think that I am not so dogmatic in thought that I couldn't bend a little due to a persuasive argument. Writing about Sarah Palin allowed me to take a non-traditional stance and listen to the comments. It was eye opening. I think when I struggle with ideas it is helpful to toss it out there for people to comment on. This goes right to Sullivan's point that a blog does not exist till it has readers, and more importantly, commenters. It underscored the importance of joining in the dialogue and linking to original source material, dissident views and anybody whatsoever to get the maximum benefit of blogging.

So what are you waiting for?

6 comments:

LYC said...

I'd me a lot more likely to blog if my mobile blogging was once again operational....I keep trying...perhaps I should put a post out there just about that....

Mim said...

I have been viewing Blogging as one big giant, FUN wedding. And you get seated at the singles table, which happens to be filled with the coolest people, and you get into so many different conversations, that you forget you are at the singles table at a wedding!

SMC said...

Michelle- I am pretty sure your glass is half full- of gin.

d smith kaich jones said...

I've been thinking about "blogging as art". How pretentious is that? But really, for me it kind of feels that way. The picture is important, the words are important, and I want to just decorate the place so it all fits together! LOL!

I also want more than readers - I am so greedy! - I want commenters, I want a conversation. I want a sip or town of Michelle's gin. If she has any left!

:)

d smith kaich jones said...

Okay, that was supposed to say sip or two. Not town. Maybe that's a sign I shouldn't have that sip. :)

Mim said...

No gin, but a whole bottle of port that has yet to be opened!!