Sunday, May 11, 2008

You Ain't Livin' Till You Got Some Husker Red

Doing a little yard work today... actually doing a lot of yard work today. I was sweeping in front of our property.... getting rid of sand, leaves, broken up pavement, pine needles, sticks and on and on. Finally got a chance to relax in the main show, my garden. And I came to the conclusion that you don't have a garden till you have some Husker Red Penstemon. Mine is just showing its color. That is a beautiful Tim Rowan piece in the background.
I am so crazy about Husker that I have two major patches and a small one. Here it is with Ruby Glow Sedum in the foreground and Moonshine Yarrow in the background.











You can alwasy console yourself with some Dragon's Blood Sedum, but it is less dramatic.

6 comments:

Mim said...

YOu are consistant! I remember when you were nuts about the Penstemon last summer. I got some just because you went on and on a bout it so much!

SMC said...

And consistent too! (wink wink)

I prefer to think of myself as loyal and true as opposed to consistent. Consistent sounds so...... predictable. I am such a free spirit!

d smith kaich jones said...

Sarah - Just a note that to let you know that in MY blog I linked to & commented on your earlier post about the sedum applying lipstick. I rec'd a rose this weekend that reminded me of that quote, so wanted to mention that it originally came from you. Thanks!

Debi (Smith Kaich Jones)

Mim said...

I was taught to spell phoenitically and I have a wicked NE accent.....
Loyal and true. Absolutly.
Free Spirit? I don't think either of us are, I thnk Annie is. Or maybe I am confusing free spirit with hippy dippy ish?

Unknown said...

Alright... I admit, I got rid of the Husker Reds in my garden (when I moved here) because I couldn't handle the pretty pink flowers. But now you have me rethinking that!

And I love that beautiful spruce...

SMC said...

The flowers on the Penstemon can be a bit insipid. I just cut them off. I do that to my hostas too. That terrible dishwater grey lavendar is awful. I am now having a terrible inner debate about digging up some menarda that is that color. God knows what I was thinking when I bought it. But it has really taken off this spring and I hate killing living things. Perhaps I can pass it off to a friend with a "tin eye."