Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The Color of Skin

I got thinking a little bit after describing my dog to somebody that he tends to be described by his looks. To the outside world Henry is definitely a terrier mix. That is how he was described to me when I adopted him. While his looks are cuddle-riffic, I think Henry would be more accurately described as a beagle/hound mix. His personality is thoroughly Beagle, it is undeniable. He has that devil-may-care attitude about everything, and if he catches the scent of something.... fugetaboutit. He is gone.

It makes me think about my friend, Debbie , who moved in next door when I was 5 years old. Her father was black and her mother was white. She would be described as black (or mixed race) if you went by her looks. The laughable thing is that she is definitely French Canadian. It is an ethnic group that is easily recognized here in the Northeast. Her speaking cadence, her values, her way of dress. Despite her coffee colored skin I know what she truly is.

Wouldn't it be nice if people recognized that which is on the inside....and more authentically the person we are?

4 comments:

Mim said...

What are the french canadian characteristics? (I can't spell, I KNOW that about myself)

SMC said...

Well you know...they can't spell. The French Canadians around here are thoroughly middle class, family & church oriented. Like to eat pork pie and only have their glass of milk when the meal is finished.

Mim said...

Hmm, I think yu r kiding me. I don't drink milk.

LYC said...

I don't drink milk anymore, but I still don't drink until I'm done eating. Call me Canadian - I've been called worse!