Sunday, May 25, 2008

It's a Dirty Job....

.... but someone has to do it. I edged two of my gardens today which involves going around the edges with an edger ...... stating the obvious. The encroaching grass and black eyed Susans (which are weeds in my neck of the woods) need to be beaten back yearly as they vie for real estate with my beloved plants. After going along the edge with the aforementioned tool, all the clumps of nicked off grass/black eyed Susans/weeds need to be shaken to death to get off all the precious soil from the tangle of roots. Sunny days are best for baking the offending clumps to turn the soil into bone dry dust. This photo shows all the clumps drying in the sun along the border garden.

While dirty and hard, physical labor, it can be a very rewarding job. The garden looks extra tidy. Being mildly compulsive, I walk back and forth after the job is done to admire my handiwork.

No comments: