Friday, September 5, 2008

Pink Pearls of Wisdom


I have not written about my garden in many moons... and it is not because it has shriveled up and died. It is that funny time of year when I have sort of had my fill of one of the things I hold dear. This feeling may have been aided by my still healing broken toe, but I recognize this garden ennui which has descended every August or September since I was 25.

But just yesterday I took a spin through the garden to see what was happening. This little (unidentified) sedum is on the verge of blossoming. The unopened blossoms are the most tender shade of pink you have ever seen. It is a sight to rekindle a lost love.......

I think I will work in my garden a little this weekend.

5 comments:

LYC said...

I noticed that my Sedum is also blooming - white. I had forgotten to include it in the list of things that bloom late in the year...Maybe I have a lesson to learn from late bloomers...

Mim said...

I like the idea of lost loves.

Unknown said...

Yeah... I'm starting to think that the August Funk is going to be a yearly thing for me, too. *sigh*

Your little sedum is pretty. Might it be sedum sieboldii, aka October Daphne? (Which never waits until October to bloom for me, btw.)

SMC said...

BSW- good tip on the sedum, so I went looking. It looks more similar to sedum cauticolum (http://www.perennialnursery.com/catalog/product.php?productid=283&cat=49&page=1)because it is tiny, tiny, tiny- 2-3" tall. They even use the word cute in the description..... so this must be a positive identification!

Glad to hear I am not the only one with late summer blahs. I thought you didn't suffer from it as you have had so many pictures as of late- perhaps due to the new camera.

Unknown said...

I would buy that it was s. cauticola, too... I have both, and honestly they look very similar except in size.