Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A Day in the Life of My Garden- May 18, 2009

I took a few days off to relax after many straight days of work. I lucked into decent weather so I made time to commune with my garden.

This poor little Spirea bush has been taunting me for a few years now. I love its lime green leaves next to the purple of the Campanula Glomerata. It is a prize winning combination. But the bush has been dying off in bits and pieces each year.

This year was the worst. About 80% of the bush is not leafing out- no amount of pruning will hide this fact. I have always had difficulty in giving up on a plant that is not quite dead. I feel it has a certain right to keep trying.

Unfortunately gardening is about creating beauty. This bush is not beautiful. So I began the terrible task of surgically removing its ugliness from the masses of young Campanula.

I consoled myself with some visions of health & beauty, like the just leafing out Smoke Bush & White Bearded Iris.












Or the electric blue of the almost unwelcome guest of Ajuga.








Or the silvery lamb's ear next to a pink azalea.

3 comments:

Mim said...

I don't believe that gardening is all about creating beauty, it is beauty, I think your gardens are about controlling beauty (oops, did I say that?) I vote to let the little bush try to make a go of it, maybe it needs some time off....

LYC said...

Wow, everything is so much more advanced there than it is here? The garden Gods love you.

SMC said...

Michelle- too late.

LYC- The gardening Gods are simply having their way with me. Some things- big, luscious, enviable; other things (some new euphorbias) dead, unattractive eyesores.