Sunday, November 23, 2008

Plumbing the Depths of My Nerdiness

So I decided to plumb the depths of my nerdiness by rereading Sarah Vowell's The Wordy Shipmates which I had lent to my friend Louise. It wasn't due back at the library for two days. There are so many historical characters and historical events she referenced that thought I would benefit from a second read.

The second time through I was once again struck by the figure of Anne Hutchinson. She was a Puritan who arrived around 1635 and immediately caused trouble. She was also a religious visionary and an exceedingly bright and outspoken woman.... so this references my previous post.

The unfortunate aspect of Anne Hutchinson as a historical character is she only exists through the words of others. She never wrote any tracts or pamphlets, she was not a magistrate or minister so no one thought to write her speeches down. And most of the people who wrote about her also hated her. So we get her side through the lens of another.

You can read some of the transcripts of her trial though. She comes off as a very skilled debater... as a matter of fact, she runs circles around the magistrates trying her. They were left with one course- be rid of this witch before she poisons the general population. The irony is that this crazed female visionary forced the hands of the local powers who thought they should establish a college to educate their populace (men) against the tyranny of ignorance. Soon after Harvard was established.

Now I am not a particular adherer to the "OMG, we are the downtrodden" school of feminist thought. I find it self defeating and not to mention, EXCEEDINGLY humorless. But I do find there are lessons to be learned from our past. So....step up to the plate or quit 'chur bitchin'.

4 comments:

LYC said...

It seems Anne Hutchinson was born ahead of her time....at least to have received the recognition she deserved....Despite what she managed to accomplish you'de still wish for her to have known what a force she was....Unfortunately instead she became another of many unsung heroines...maybe she preferred it that way....

SMC said...

Well...there is a statue if her down in Boston but you wonder how many people know the back story.... or if she gets remembered at all, she gets lumped into that category of religious mystic. I suppose it is our job to keep resurrecting these people.

JAF said...

Anne Hutchinson sure did speak up. I wouldn't call her a loudmouth though (I wouldn't call you a loudmouth either). She is a powerful reminder that I have far greater regrets for the times I should have spoken up and didn't, than for the times I wish I had kept my mouth shut.

SMC said...

Ahhh... the times I should have kept my mouth shut. Now there is a whole other post.